lunes, 20 de enero de 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green

In the past I've tried to define what I want to do with this blog: do I want to be a beauty blogger? Lifestyle blogger? Fashion blogger? But truth be told, I dislike labels and I don't think I could ever stick to one thing. In my opinion, limits kill creativity and I don't want to feel pressured (by myself) to write about one thing and one thing only. Why do that when I can blog about whatever I like? Exactly!

That being said, you may or may not know I'm an English student, so I read an awful lot, whether it's for class or on my own. A while ago, a good friend of mine started reading John Green's infamous book The Fault In Our Stars, which you have probably heard of by now as the movie is due this year I believe. She said I had to read it "but not in public because you're going to cry your eyes out" and so I did!



In a nutshell
Hazel Grace is a 16 year old girl who has been diagnosed with lung cancer. In order for her to leave the house and cheer up a bit, her mother suggests she should attend a Cancer Suport Group at the church. There she meets charming and charismatic cancer survivor, Augustus Waters, and together they will embark in the adventure of finding out what it truly means to be in love and to feel alive. 

Thoughts
In all honesty, it has to be one of the best books I read in 2013. I found myself smiling more than once while reading it, but when I finished I also felt like I'd ran out of tears. It's obviously a sad story, but it's portrayed in a way that doesn't make you think of the characters as "ill kids", but just kids. Teenagers living their lives. It's brilliant, devastating, funny and frustrating at the same time.

What I found particularly thrilling about the way this book is written is that the author is an adult man, who could've easily failed at portraying the mind of a 16 year old girl, making her sound like a parody of a teenager. It's nothing like it - John Green makes you believe every word that comes out of Hazel Grace. When it comes to female lead characters I always find it very difficult to really like them, because one way or another I always end up thinking they are annoying and/or selfish. With Hazel, though, you've got no other choice but to end up loving her like a friend.

Worth the hype?
YES. Definitely. Don't hesitate to pick it up if you haven't yet because you won't regret it. I know I don't - it's a story that I'm certain will stay with me for a long, long time.

As you can see in the pictures above, I'm now the proud owner of that lovely box thanks to my grandma, so I may or may not be writing my thoughts on the other books soon! I already started reading Looking For Alaska (I'm only 17 pages in, though!) so we'll see. :)

See you soon,
Tania x

3 comentarios:

  1. I've been wanting to read this series for the longest time but I just haven't been able to get my hands on it. And I've also been trying to figure out which route I want to my blog and to no avail but I kind of agree that labeling your blog could limit what you want to write about. Lovely blog, nonetheless! (:

    Lots of Love,
    Manpreet xx

    simplym-blog.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much! Just followed you on bloglovin because after reading your comment I went to check out your blog and I honestly loved it. Your 25 Days of Christmas posts were amazing, so original and I wish I could stick to writing that many posts in one month!

      Do get your hands on it when you can because it's a great novel. Let me know if you end up reading it - and if you do I hope you like it! :)

      Tania
      xx

      Eliminar
    2. Thanks, that mean so much! Yeah, it was really hard to put out a new post everyday but I think it was worth it in the end, and I followed back as well. (:

      Lots of Love,
      Manpreet xx

      Eliminar