lunes, 5 de agosto de 2013

August 5th, 2003: McFLY and The O.C.

It is Monday, which means I should probably be writing my second Summer Love post but that's going to have to wait as there's something I'd rather talk about today. It's August 5th 2013, which means it's the tenth anniversary of two of my favourite things in life: McFly and the tv show The O.C.


Ten years ago, after quite a long process of auditions and such, fifteen year old bassist Dougie Poynter moved into the band house alongside his mates Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones and Harry Judd. It's considered to be the day they became McFly. The day they were complete. Little did they know that they were about to shake so many people's worlds for the better, mine included.

I started listening to McFly when I was about 13 years old and no matter how much things have changed, or how much I have changed myself, they have been a huge part of my life ever since. I knew from the moment I first listened to them that they were special. You know what they say, "people haven't always been there for me, but music always has." (I totally just quoted Taylor Swift.) That's the case with McFly. Somehow they have always been with me - they've made me feel less lonely when I was actually pretty much alone, they've put a smile on my face whenever I've felt like hiding under my duvets and they have been my Wonderland whenever I've wanted to run away. 

At the same time the McFly boys were getting together, FOX was premiering a new teen drama series over in the United States: The O.C. It was created by Josh Schwartz, who got the inspiration from being a Jewish kid from the East Coast who felt like a total stranger when he first arrived in California. In a recent interview, he stated that he found interesting how all these apparently flawless people were living a total different life than they were presenting and how he wanted to create a tv show where "you felt like you were bring brought inside the new money and new royalty of America." (x)

I'm not sure when it premiered in Spain, but I do know I first noticed the show because they were doing a The O.C. marathon on tv and I will admit I stayed up until 5 am watching quite a few episodes. I was absolutely fascinated. I felt like they were telling stories I could relate to. Obviously I'm not from the new royalty of anywhere nor have I ever passed out in an alley in Tijuana due to drug abuse (uhm, isn't that scene just brilliant? Yes. Yes it is.) but I had finally found a character I could see myself in. I could relate to Seth Cohen's struggle to fit in, his social awkwardness and his sarcastic ways. He was the geeky one, but still he was the hero of the story, which felt very new. With Seth Cohen, they gave a voice to the kind of kids that were often forgotten. 

Both McFly and The O.C. will always be part of me. Through them I've met some of my absolute best friends and they've helped me create bonds that I know will never be broken. I am a firm believer whatever is helping you shape who you are and who you want to become will never be forgotten, so I know that these songs, these stories and, most importantly, these people will for ever occupy a huge part of my heart.

If you're anything like me and you're interested in any of those things, here are some links that have made me smile today:

McFly's first tv performance - x
That Girl live at Manchester Apollo (Memory Lane Tour 2013) - x
First promo of The O.C. - x
The O.C. Secrets: Creator Josh Schwartz talks its success, where it went wrong and the things we never really got to see - x
Remembering The O.C. with Josh Schwartz (interview) - x
21 Most Important Music Moments from The O.C. - x
"The Seth Effect" - x

Happy 10th Anniversary!
Beauty posts will be resumed soon :)

Tania x

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario