miércoles, 31 de diciembre de 2014

Goodbye 2014

 Madrid, August 2014

I don't know how to begin this post without repeating what you've heard a million times by now, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it: 2014 has flown by. I cannot believe it's been twelve months since the last time I sat down to reflect on another year. 

Very often, I label things in my head as good or bad. What I like and what I don't. What's good for me and what's not. I always need to know that the villain is a real villain and I can't sympathize with a hero that's doing mean things. If you're a good friend, you behave like one. Most things are in black and white in my head, because that makes it easier for me to understand how I feel towards someone or something. However, I'm not sure I can fully label a year as good or bad. I keep hearing people talking about balance and that's always been an interesting concept for me. I'm attracted to the idea that we have to go through the worst to appreciate the best. It's not exactly fair, I suppose, but I like to think that balance exists, whether we like it or not, and that good times will always come.

To be perfectly honest with you, I also think that it all depends on your attitude. That's why without counting neither my curses nor my blessings, I'm going to say that it's been a good year. This year I don't want to look back and think about the days I've been sad or lonely or miserable, days that we all have. When I'm old and wrinkly and I'm rocking my chair back and forth thinking about the good old 2014, I'm going to think about the lessons I learned and the good memories we made. Trying to sneak into fancy hotels. Watching the sun rise from the beach. Tracking flights at 1 am. (Not so) early mornings spent lying in bed searching stuff on twitter, then falling asleep again. Crazy audio notes. Blogging more. Realizing that there's really no point in worrying so much about everything. That it's okay to be sad, upset and afraid and you have to allow yourself to feel all of it. Finding myself a little bit more every day. Finally coming to terms with who I am and what I want (and what I don't). Growing. Accepting. Moving forward.

I am a completely different person than I was twelve months ago and I am a completely different person than I will be next time I sit down to write about my year. And that's alright. Hopefully, next December I will tell you more or less the same thing: that bad things happen, but they will never be more relevant than whatever makes you smile. I'm happy. I hope you are too. And I hope 2015 is the year of your life.



Happy new year!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario