martes, 15 de abril de 2014

"Palo Alto" by James Franco

Shout out to Nerea for the coolest mug

In a nutshell
From a freshman trying to impress a girl to a high school coach getting together with a student or a young boy in possession of a gun, Palo Alto follows the (mis)adventures and life experiences of an extended group of troubled teenagers as they "experiment with vices of all kinds and struggle with their families and one another". 

Thoughts (2/5*)
As somebody who loves James Franco, I was really excited when I got his book. Plus, stories about troubled teenagers? Sounds good to me. Unfortunately, it's not what I was expecting as the stories (except for maybe one or two) are all about the same thing: teens getting high/drunk, partying and overall swearing an awful lot. I don't know how life is like in Palo Alto, but I would guess some teenagers can be troubled in other ways than driving into a wall because they're wasted. After reading two of the short stories, there was nothing surprising or any shocking twist in any of them.

The main problem is that it's hard to tell these stories apart. He uses different narrators but they all sound the same to me. I'm not saying Franco is a bad writer because I really don't think he is - in fact there's a story that stood out to me, April in Three Parts, which was the one I enjoyed the most. I want to think it's because it's the only one that's got a solid plot, where his characters actually do things and things happen to them and there's a story to tell. That's what makes me believe he's got the potential to write a good, maybe great, novel; where both his characters and their stories can be properly developed
.

I read Palo Alto a couple of months ago but I thought it'd be a good idea to post my thoughts on it now that the trailer for the upcoming film based on the book, starring Emma Roberts and James Franco himself, has just come out. You can watch it here.

If you're a bookworm like me, befriend me on Goodreads!

 Tania x

4 comentarios:

  1. I appreciate your review! I used to really like James Franco, but now I'm not so sure how I feel about him… I may need to pick this up just out of curiosity! Then we can book chat!
    : signe : the daily savant :
    : blogspot
    : bloglovin
    : 3D LASH KIT GIVEAWAY :
    : NECKLACE & EARRING SET GIVEAWAY : (2 winners)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Ahh definitely, let me know if you do pick it up then - who knows, you might find it amazing! :) x

      Eliminar
  2. James Franco grew up near where I live. Palo Alto isn't really known for being a troubled teenage city. Maybe back when he lived there but not now, lol. The book sounds pretty interesting, thanks for the review!

    Jenn~ // www.cherry-sky.net

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I read somewhere that some of these are based on true stories (which is a bit disrespectful if you ask me because there's some pretty heavy stuff there and the people they were based on could easily get offended), but I thought it was quite weird as well how everyone in Palo Alto seemed to be involved with drugs, guns and everything else lol

      Thank you for taking the time to comment! X

      Eliminar